.

.
10.6.16

A Year of Pleasures: Iftar & Keeping it light


a few items for the table
I am growing up. I am learning how to put my foot down; say no; and make sense of why we do what we do & live the way we live.
As Muslims life generally is about simplicity. After all, if our heads are full of "stuff", how could we even concentrate on the spiritual? And specifically in Ramadan, if iftar menus are foremost  on our minds, how could we really reap the benefits of the blessed month or even connect with those who are less fortunate?

Ramadan is supposed to be about faith and family - not food - or at least, not obsessing over food. I have changed a lot of things about iftar preparations, and our iftar table. Generally, I eat light and simpler meals than my family anyway. However, I know "now" that my husband's culture has affected the way I have celebrated Ramadan - specifically the types of foods I used to prepare.

The last 2 years saw us making that shift away from unhealthy fried foods that left everyone feeling ill, to healthier foods that do what food is meant to do - sustain the body. More or less, I have been spending less time in the kitchen, and I have kept iftar so simple, I can prepare the whole meal in under 1 hr. I do not cook fried, fatty foods, and we are trying to minimize sugar intake.
This means no samosas, no basbousa or cakes etc. Unlike previous Ramadans, I don't have complete control over our meals (as my MIL cooks as well). However, I set the tone on the first day by showing how we do it.

*The salmon salad in the middle is for my husband. I try to make him a salad every day because he generally doesn't like veggies.

Stories

+

Followers

Contact

Search

About the Template